Saturday, May 28, 2011

So this week we have had lots of improvement! It was an emotional one for me, because of seeing her feel a little out of place, or having limits on what her body will do & just seeing her not being the typical more carefree, head up little kid that can run & jump that she was before all this. Or the sadness she feels & I feel watching her start to lose more & more of her hair. It's hard for me to watch this, knowing that she already feels like her illness is limiting her & setting her apart from her friends. Losing her hair will also be a physical reminder for her that she is really sick. I was so hoping that maybe by a miracle she could keep her hair. And although I think she has more then some kids do at this point, it's really starting to come out more & more every time I brush it or coming out on her pillow and clothes. She's a brave little girl & I know we'll get through this, but for a girl that has always had beautiful long hair I know it will be her challenge, therefore it will be my heart ache. They say the number one fear for little children who receive a cancer diagnosis, is not their own mortality, but is actually losing their hair.


A big thanks to Saydee who made Avery feel more comfortable & helped her up the steps, during their Pre-school graduation practice. This was the first time we have been back to school since she was diagnosed. Her feet have not been so swollen & she felt like she wanted to go. I thought this would be good for her to be around her school friends. I couldn't hold back the tears (nor could Becky) when these two came walking out holding hands & the song, "Let them be little" played. Especially since are conversation a few nights before was how she didn't want to grow up. She wanted to stay five. I think she's afraid by the time she feels all better she will be grown up. Like I said, an emotional one for me, but I think this was so good for Avery to be around her friends again. Saydee I'm so glad she has you to help her through this!









This week was the first time she's even mention tee-ball, which she was signed up for before we knew she had cancer. When she mentioned she wanted to play, then we took advantage since this would be her first game & the last one for the year. She was hesitate, but with a little encouragement she went out in the field. Her legs are still swollen & so it made it hard to walk & for sure she couldn't run. She hit the ball both times she was out to bat & again I think this was so good for her to be around kids her age again. We are so blessed to have you Avery. You did a great job!









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I read this post I just set here and cry! Looking at these pictures of these 2 girls holding hands just let's me know that there was a reason they were born only 3 weeks apart! They love each other so much! The pic of them sitting on the stage holding hands I know was a comfort to both of them. I know how hard it has been for saydee to go to school and not have Avery there with her. They will forever and always be BFFs and help each other through everything life throws at them! It has been a wonderful week, I love seeing her smile and see her personality starting to shine through again! she is a brave and tough little stink and I just love her to pieces!
Becky*

kyle said...

It was good to see her play baseball and maybe we should get a game together soon.