We made it through another round of Chemo yesterday! It's such a long drive, but they were quick to get us in & out in 2 hours. The doctor came and spoke to us and wanted to know how Avery's been doing & the side effects she's been having. About an hour before we made it to the hospital her feet began really bothering her. They were so swollen. We stopped for her to us the bathroom and she was not able to walk. Both feet had swollen up so much that her little toes you could barely see with all the puffiness going on. They were really hurting her, I was hoping that someone wouldn't come ask us what was going on in the bathroom to make this little girl cry so much. Back in the car I tried to elevate her feet to see if that would help. We had already given her pain medicine 2 hours before, so it was to soon for that. I asked the Doctor about this and she just said it's yet another side effect of the steroids, along with her belly being hard & bulging, swollen face, increase appetite (she wants lots of pizza, any hour, any time), change in taste buds (doesn't like sugar anymore, that's crazy for her), change in mood/behavior. While on steroids they want them to gain 5 to 10 lbs to be able to handle the times they won't feel like eating or if they get mouth sores & can't eat. Basically for the feet, there isn't anything we can do to ease the pain. She has barely walked these last two days. It's so sad. The Doctor told us once she had to be on steroids for 7 days after 3 days she quit taking them. She just couldn't take it anymore. I said really, "And you put these poor kids on them for 30 days straight".
Accessing the port was scary again for her. The child life specialist was trying to help me distract her. Avery just kept saying are they going to poke me again? Are they? Are they? I said it was only going to take a minute and that's way we numbed it. When they got the needle inserted she still was crying, "Are they going to poke me again". It was all over they were withdrawing her blood and then started giving her the Chemo. Her blood work came back good. Her HCT (Hematocrit) which is the percentage of blood volume made up of red blood cells was 23.1, last week was 28.3 as long as it's over 20 they don't need to do a blood transfusion. Her ANC was 800, which is up from the 500 from last week. She's been very tired & weak, had lots of stomach pain, her belly has had some problems & then her feet are swollen & it hurts her to walk.
Thursday May 5th, 2011: Something that made us laugh:)
Mom: Avery there are so many people that love & care about you. I got a gift from work today to give you. There was a present left in my car today just for you from Addie in your pre-school class. The Primary leaders want to come visit & bring you a present. And Macie & Sadie want to come & see you & bring a surprise. You are so lucky that so many people care about you so much.Avery: Wow mom, sounds like we're going to have a full house. And then as sweet as could be, I'll share some of my gifts with Kelsi. She needs some too. Thanks sweetheart for making mom smile:) Dad, me, Grandma & Grandpa Adams all got a kick out of it.
We are very grateful to the long list of people who have showed their love & support to our family. We thank you for making all this a little bit easier by your encouraging words, service, prayers, visits, thoughtful cards, dinners, fundraisers for Avery, plays dedicated to her, special gifts for Avery and every one's love & concern.
9 comments:
She definately looks like she likes the hospital. Hahaha. Avery we love you!!!! You are our hero.
Rachelle
Happy Mothers Day! Avery was so upset that she couldn't go to the store and buy you a Mother's day gift. I told her that I got one for her to give to you but that wouldn't do. She remembers me taking her shopping last year and she had to do it again. She was very very upset and was having a steroid moment. Finally we came home and she made you a card and then we went looking and looking in my/grandma's house until she found the best selections of things she wanted to give. Some of things should make you smile! I think a smile makes the world a better place soo---Smile. We knew she would have good moments and then not so good moments and we know the road will be long but I smell a VICTORY at the end. love mom
Happy Mothers Day Amber! You're doing it! One day at a time, you're doing it! Go Avery Go!
I got a good laugh the other day when I was talking to her. okay so I must have been lecturing her, because she looked at me and said, "okay mother!" I joked that the medicine is making her crazy, because I am not her mother, but I am her favorite uncle kyle. To which she gave me an "avery look" and said well you sure are acting like a mother to me. I could hear mom laughing in the other room. It's nice to find the small things to make us laugh, during the rough times.
We are so glad she got to come to Saydee's bday!I luved how she was so concerned about wether or not we were going to make saydee's cake! Who needs a store bought one when u have me and aves to make one! I luv that she is still worried about other people! Hang in there she is something special! Luv her and luv u guys!
Becky
Hope you had a happy Mothers Day those two girls are lucky to have such a caring mommy. Your the best and just what Avery needs in these times. Avery your so strong hang in there honey your doing great!
Lish said she talked to your Mom at church and Avery was having a bad day. We tried calling last night to see if she wanted a piece of pizza but no answer. I hope she is having a better day today. Also... Happy Mothers Day a day late. You are such a great Mother Amber. Don't ever forget that and take care of yourself as well. Sharron
Glad to read that she is also having some "happy" moments during all of this... I love that your mom said "Keep smiling it makes the world I better place".. Its so true (although easier said than done at times)...(I need to take your moms advice also!) Sometimes we all just have to live moment to moment till we get on our feet!! Lots of people cheering you on!! Hang in there!! xoxo
Post a Comment