We had expected we would be at Primary Children's Hospital for a few hours for blood work for Avery and then would go home, so we didn't bring a lot with us. I did have my camera, but no charger so no new pictures. I do have a few from the last few days! Last night was the first time I left and stayed at Rachelle's. I have gotten very little sleep since Thursday and they only let one person stay. Besides having a hard time sleeping anyway, they are giving her 4 ounces of liquids an hour to hydrate her and flush out any toxins so they come wake her up every 2 hours to use the bathroom. No sleep here!
Today, has been some up and downs. They give her steroids twice a day called Dexamethasone. There are several side effects. We have experienced a few in particular increased appetite and irritable and mood/behavior changes. On Sunday night, she had her first round of Chemo, along with the steroid. Throughout the evening she wanted pizza, Popsicle, chips and at midnight she said, "Mom I want some strawberries". Finally something healthy, however the room service where she gets to eat anything anytime was closed. It was definitely surprising on how much she wanted to eat. Another side effect of the steroid is being ornery and irritable and that has shown its face as well. Yesterday and today, she turned into a Grizzly Bear from the steroids. At times, she can already be a little firecracker so the steroids don't help. She was having leg pain again which is a sign of Leukemia and something she (we) have dealt with for weeks so that didn't help. During her Grizzly Bear episode She said, "She didn't like the doctors and hated having this stupid port". Pretty strong words. I know this has been so much for her to take in. So much for all of us to take in.
Avery's bruises that she had all over her legs and a few on her arms are finally starting to fade. This is another sign of Leukemia because there platelets are so low that they start bruising. Dangerously low. I noticed the bruises a few days before we came up here, which had me concerned because in the last few weeks she's had little energy to do to get those bruises. When we were driving up here, I told Johnny to remind me to tell the Doctor in case they wanted to call child services j/k in case that helped them solved the mystery of what was going on. I noticed when I told the Rheumatologist Dr. that her expression changed, but she didn't say much about it. She will still get bruises and bleed easily and the big concern is fevers. If her temperature reaches 100.4 we are to check it again a 1/2 hour later if it goes up then we are to immediately take her to the ER. Her ANC (absolute neutrophil count) which is a measure of the infection fighting white blood cells. They are responsible for fighting bacterial infections. They are normally in the range of 8500 to 1500. Over the last few days they have been 200, 300 and today 600. Tomorrow she has her second round of Chemo which will start dropping her ANC levels again. So she has to be so careful especially around crowds and anytime we leave her room she has to wear her mask. Crazy how fast our lives can change.
Thanks to all for their kind words, words of encouragement, special gifts for Avery or snacks for us, visits here to the hospital (grandparents and Jense family who have come faithfully to bring up Avery's spirits. It has helped tremendously. Thanks to Kyle, her child life coach who makes her smile), Cecilie for bringing dinner and those that gave Avery and us a priesthood blessings. This is going to be a long-hard road for our family! We know our Heavenly Father has been watching over us and we feel your prayers. Thank you! We appreciate it!!
2 comments:
Hello Amber! I so admire your strength and have cried through your blog this evening. These are hard times and if I had the power I would take them all away from Avery, you and your husband. How hard this must be for all of your family but especially for you and Johnny. I think to myself what can I do? I pray so hard for each of you - to give you strength to carry on and bring you through this - and I know it will happen. If there is anything we can do - even the tiniest of things we are here for all of you. My heart goes out to you - love, Renee
Hey Amber, what a girl. You are such a a strpng person. I am so sorry that you and your little family are having to go through this. We are here and waiting to do anything you need us too. Reese is worried about Avery. She asked about her. Tell Avery HI :) from Reese. McKall said even though I am bigger than Avery she is still a good friend. We love you guys!!!!
Post a Comment