Avery right before Surgery!
Today we knew it would be another hard day. Last night, I hardly slept, re-thinking over the day's events and what was in store for us tomorrow and especially thinking about little Avery. Last night, they went over what would be happening today. She received a blood transfusion in the night to bring her blood counts back up. Her Homoglobin (Iron) was at 7 and they like it between 11 & 13, her WBC & RBC (white & red blood count) were low and they needed them to be up for her big day. Her platelets were low and low enough that before surgery they had to give her another transfusion. She's having surgery today and can't eat/drink after 6:00 a.m. so at 5:30, I woke her up to give her something to eat and drink. During surgery, they took some of her bone marrow to test to better understand what kind of treatment she'll need and to check the chromosomes. Also, they did a spinal tab to get a sample of cerebrospinal fluid that is around the brain and spinal chord. They examine this under the microscope to see if their are any cancer cells there. Because this is a hard place for the Chemo to reach, they inserted a syringe here with her first bit of Chemo. After the test come back, they will know if they need to continue doing a spinal tab to treat this area during treatments. Finally, they needed to implant her port or central line which is the hardest for Avery to understand. This is a tube they place in her vein in the upper chest and it goes underneath her skin. She has struggled with having to constantly have an IV and trying to explain this to a 5 year old has been difficult. I knew she would be a little crazy about something going underneath her skin that she couldn't get out. She cried a lot about not wanting that "thing" in her. Were they going to cut her open? We tried to explaine as simplify as we could, so she wouldn't be too freaked out after surgery. Surgery wasn't until 1:30 and she was thirsty and hungry. She was scared for surgery and we tried to hide how scared we were too. Johnny & I were anxious to get this part over with. They gave her medicine to relax her which seemed to help. I promised that I would be there when she woke up. They wheeled Avery one way to surgery and we went the other to the waiting room. This was the hardest part, I didn't want to leave her alone. I prayed that this hour would go by fast. I knew she would be in good hands and would be put to sleep soon. The surgery was a success and took closer to 2 hours. Avery was very agitated and mad at those doctors for doing that to her. It hurt and she wanted it out. It broke my heart, but I knew we had no choice. They gave her pain medicine and something to relax her. Kyle did wonders for Avery. She went from being so mad, to being so silly. He would ask her questions and she kept telling him funny answers. We were so relieved that this part was over. Only 24 hours since we first found out Avery had Leukemia and it feels like so much longer.

Shouldn't Avery be having thumb's down & Kelsi thumb's up?

After Surgery, Kyle making Avery happy!
Today we knew it would be another hard day. Last night, I hardly slept, re-thinking over the day's events and what was in store for us tomorrow and especially thinking about little Avery. Last night, they went over what would be happening today. She received a blood transfusion in the night to bring her blood counts back up. Her Homoglobin (Iron) was at 7 and they like it between 11 & 13, her WBC & RBC (white & red blood count) were low and they needed them to be up for her big day. Her platelets were low and low enough that before surgery they had to give her another transfusion. She's having surgery today and can't eat/drink after 6:00 a.m. so at 5:30, I woke her up to give her something to eat and drink. During surgery, they took some of her bone marrow to test to better understand what kind of treatment she'll need and to check the chromosomes. Also, they did a spinal tab to get a sample of cerebrospinal fluid that is around the brain and spinal chord. They examine this under the microscope to see if their are any cancer cells there. Because this is a hard place for the Chemo to reach, they inserted a syringe here with her first bit of Chemo. After the test come back, they will know if they need to continue doing a spinal tab to treat this area during treatments. Finally, they needed to implant her port or central line which is the hardest for Avery to understand. This is a tube they place in her vein in the upper chest and it goes underneath her skin. She has struggled with having to constantly have an IV and trying to explain this to a 5 year old has been difficult. I knew she would be a little crazy about something going underneath her skin that she couldn't get out. She cried a lot about not wanting that "thing" in her. Were they going to cut her open? We tried to explaine as simplify as we could, so she wouldn't be too freaked out after surgery. Surgery wasn't until 1:30 and she was thirsty and hungry. She was scared for surgery and we tried to hide how scared we were too. Johnny & I were anxious to get this part over with. They gave her medicine to relax her which seemed to help. I promised that I would be there when she woke up. They wheeled Avery one way to surgery and we went the other to the waiting room. This was the hardest part, I didn't want to leave her alone. I prayed that this hour would go by fast. I knew she would be in good hands and would be put to sleep soon. The surgery was a success and took closer to 2 hours. Avery was very agitated and mad at those doctors for doing that to her. It hurt and she wanted it out. It broke my heart, but I knew we had no choice. They gave her pain medicine and something to relax her. Kyle did wonders for Avery. She went from being so mad, to being so silly. He would ask her questions and she kept telling him funny answers. We were so relieved that this part was over. Only 24 hours since we first found out Avery had Leukemia and it feels like so much longer.
Shouldn't Avery be having thumb's down & Kelsi thumb's up?
After Surgery, Kyle making Avery happy!
3 comments:
Oh Amber. First of all, Thank you for sharing your story. I have been wondering what happened and have been thinking of you since I heard the news.
Please know that many prayers are being offered on your behalf. I believe in the power of faith and prayers. And I have witnessed miracles in the face of this scary disease.
Be strong and please keep me posted.
You and Johnny are both amazing parents. Avery is very lucky to have you both!! She is a tough little stinker and I have all the confidence in the world she is going to beat this! I love you guys so much and want you to know many people are sending their love and prayers your way! We as a family are going to do everything we can to help in any way we can, so please accept the help when it comes your way, and do not be affraid to ask for help either! I know its going to be a long hard road but know we are all here to help! Stay positive and strong! Luv you guys so much, Becky
Amber, I am so sorry. Im completely heart broken for you and Johnny. You are all in our thoughts, prayers, and hearts. She will win this fight. Please take care of yourself and your new little growing baby. My mom and I are coming up to SLC Friday and would love to bring beautiful Avery a present. If that doesn't work out we understand and will send something in the mail. Email me and let me know. Chanda.andrus@gmail.com Sincerely, Chanda
Post a Comment