Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Chemo Treatment #2



This is what the port looks like with the bandages, when we leave
the bandages will be removed.


Today Avery started her second round of Chemo treatment called Asparaginase at about 11:00. They then have to monitor her for at least 2 hours for any side effects. She gets steroids twice a day and on Monday & Tuesday she gets Septra this helps to prevent a certain type of pneumonia. She gets lots of medicine and at home we will start giving them to her. Before Chemo they always draw blood to check all her levels to make sure she doesn't need blood transfusions. Today her WBC (White Blood Count) was only .8, yesterday it was 1.4 & normal is 5.5 to 15.5. Her ANC, which tests how good her body can fight off an infection was back down to 300. In the ICU, if it gets below 500 they don't even let the children leave the room. She handled the Chemo really well today and she really wants to go home.


She's getting really good at handling her cart of med's and IV lines. When I help her to the restroom she sometimes want to go a lot faster then the IV lines will reach. I have to remind her to slow down. She's getting more used to her port, which is where she receives her Chemo. The port is used to draw blood or give medicine. Their is a special needle that is inserted through her skin and into the port when she gets treatments. She has IV lines in still and Friday will be the first time they insert the needle in the port. The first time will be fun for us, but she's tough and I'm sure it will get better. Today they took off the bandages on her port since surgery, which was taped up good and had lots of cotton balls. She did not like this. And again was upset with the nurses. If everything goes well, we may be able to leave later on today! Yeah! Let's hope it will happen!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Avery looked so glad to be home, even if it's only for 2 days. I hope your nursing skills are SUPER cause I looked at all those perscriptions that little girls gets/has to take and I say GOOD LUCK to nurse Johnny and Amber! I know Avery does not like to take medicine and from all the stuff I seen on your counter she better learn fast. Your house looked so good and super clean, those guys did a great job cleaning. Thanks to Greta for organizing it all and to thanks to Sharron, Kyle, Jamie, and Rosa for helping to clean. It smells so good and clean. Sharron said your house wasn't dirty they just wanted to get rid of a few germs. Shane and dad did a great job doing the yard work too. FRIENDS AND FAMILY ARE GREAT! Good Luck today at your own doctor appointment , I hope all is going good for you and the baby boy you are soon to have too!!!!!!!! Love to you all! Call and I'll be there. LOVE MOM

Amber said...

So all you bloggers out there! Why is my time not right on my posts? My computer time is right?

kyle said...

SO glad you are home. If Avery need her life coach or you need ANYTHING let me know. Shopping, cooking, cleaning, (well not the best at cleaning, but I would try) but really just let me know.

Okay on second thought, not anything. I don't do diapers! Sorry Kelsi!

Anonymous said...

Brent and I appreciate this blog to keep us updated on Avery. We are constantly thinking about Avery and the family. You know that if you need anything, we'll be there along with the whole town. Hugs....Your neighbors across the street.

The Williamson Family said...

You're in luck... I'm becoming sort of an expert on the art of diapering so I can help where Kyle leaves off! :) I'm SO happy to hear that you guys are able to come home for a couple of days. I'll call you tomorrow...