Wednesday, June 15, 2011

"Coconut Club" aka "Short-Hair Club" Party

Saydee... Our first Member of the "Coconut Club"

On Saturday, June 18th at 5:00 we are having our long awaited Short-Hair Club Party named by Avery as the "Coconut Club" at Avery's house. So if anyone wants to cut, buzz or completely bic your head be my guest and come to the "Coconut Club Party". Becky's willing to buzz anyone's hair off. Even if you don't want to get a buzz, come & visit. I'm going to have sloppy joes, chips & drinks. If anyone wants bring a treat or anything else. I just need to know how many are coming so leave a comment and let me know if you're planning on it. Speaking of comments...I know a lot of people look at this blog and not very many are commenting just saying....drop a comment once in awhile:)

We have came a long way from when we first had to start explaining to Avery, that her hair was most likely going to fall out with her chemo treatments. There has been a lot of hard & sad conversation for all of us. One conversation with Avery...

Mom: Avery to you want to cut your hair a little. Do you notice your hair is starting to fall out more & more.
Avery: How short is it going to be?
Mom: (Seeing the sadness, I had a hard time telling her) It going to get real short. I'm sorry!
Avery: Very upset & almost shouting, Mom, I don't want short hair. How short will it be? How short?
Mom: Honey, you know that you always do better if I'm honest with you. It's going to be real short.... you most likely won't have any hair. (I was close to tears, Avery was getting sad & mad)
Avery: No hair? I don't want anyone to see me. I don't want any of my friends to come over. No one can see me without hair!
Mom: Oh Avery..Your friends don't care if you have hair. They like you for you not your hair. And besides I'm sure they already know you may lose your hair.
Avery: (Still really upset) I just don't want anyone to see me.

Kids really are amazing and she has made big progress with dealing with having to loose her hair. When I asked one of the nurses during our stay how long until she would lose her hair. She said usually 2 to 3 weeks. She has done much better then most & has managed not t0 lose much until the end of May, when I started getting handfuls. The nurse did say, that kids with cancer get very little choices. They have to go through 2 plus years of treatments and they get no choices when it comes to cancer, so with their hair let them have the choice. For some, it becomes such a bother they just want to shave it all; others wait until the last strand falls out. I think Avery will be one that waits until the last strand falls out. Which is totally fine with me. It's her choice!
We were lent a book about two friends, one had cancer & they had a club called the "Lemonade Club" the entire class shaved their heads to show their support. So we have a club we call the "Coconut Club" or sometimes she calls it the "Pickle Club". The reason for the name, since her taste buds have changed she now loves pickles especially before bed time & since off the steroids she sometimes says in a funny voice, "I've got coconuts in my belly".

Avery 's very brave cousin Saydee was all over shaving her head & becoming the first member of the Coconut Club. Avery was having such a hard time with losing her hair and having Saydee's support was a huge blessing. I really can't believe a 5 year old would be willing to cut her hair for her cousin, or a mom (that also said she would let Avery cut her hair if it would help her deal with all this) never gave it a second thought to let her daughter shave her head. I have to say, I never would expect anyone to do this for her, but I'm thankful & it means a lot to Avery. What an awesome cousin!


Me thinking....Are you sure?

No going back now!

As happy as could be! No remorse!

15 comments:

Kathy said...

Dad and I will be there but I will not shave my head. love, mom

kyle said...

I am pretty sure I will be there and sure I will shave my head. I might need a little convincing from Avery.

SO impressed with Saydee. She seem to like it when she came in my office to show me her shaved head.

Becky said...

You know sometimes I don't think we understand completely how much these kids understand!! I know it has been a real struggle for saydee but at the same time she really understands how much Avery is going through and is willing to do whatever she can to make it not so difficult for her! She says if people say stuff to her about her hair she is just just going to tell them " you don't know why I did it so just shut up!!" She gets it!!!! And as for me letting her do it, I would do anything for Avery and for u guys for that matter to make it just a little easier for ALL of u!! Anything to ease the burden just a little;). Luv ya becky!!

Anonymous said...

When Kim showed me The Lemonade Club book I knew with out a doubt that I'd have Sophia's & Ty's head shaved if it would help Avery. A couple of weeks ago when we were over Avery told me that her hair was falling out. I said "I know honey. Is it all going to come out?" She shrugged her shoulders to say I don't know. I asked her if we should shave Sophia's head the same way Saydee was going to shave hers. She got the biggest grin on her face and shook her head yes! That solidified it for me. So, count us in for two shaved heads and a Locks of Love short cut for me. We love you guys!

Dusty said...

We will bring the boys over to shave their heads. Dan just shaved his so there might not be much to shave but we will do anything that will help!!

Tiffani said...

Amber this story is amazing. What a great idea to have a little party and make it fun. I'm completely inpsired and impressed by Saydee. This totally made me cry. What a good cousin. Avery is inspiring people everywhere!

Anonymous said...

What a sweetheart Saydee is!!! That is so good that she has such aunderstanding and sweet cousin to help her through this!! GO Coconut Club!

Kelly said...

I'm excited about the party. We will be there! I may be ugly with a shaved head but lets do it.

hodgesfamily said...

I just love this post just like your other post since avery has had cancer I cry as I read what you have written and see the pictures but this one is so so touching,to see her cousin and by looking at the pictures her best friend do that for her to show her how much she loves her and that she is there for her just touches my heart they are darling girls.

kimese said...

What an amazing family! Avery is so lucky to have all of you! She and Sadie look beautiful!

Megan Guymon said...

That has to be the sweetest thing ever!! Addi told me a few weeks ago that she wanted to be in Avery's club...after we had talked to you at Walmart...I am not sure she completely understands what that means...but she is still concerned for Avery. I hope you have a nice, relaxing..at least as relaxing as your life gets...birthday!

H said...

You have such a awesome support team, your families both ROCK! I don't know if you know Season Johnson (Burch) and her daughter Chase who had a brain tumor? Anyway she started a non-profit org. that is called Hats & Hair. She makes and donates cute girlie hats with fake pony tails on them that she gives to cancer patients. I am sure she would be happy to share with your cute Avery. Let me know if you want me to get in touch with her, she is really excited to help these cute little girls. ps this is Heidi Alger posting this in case you can't find my name anywhere :)

Malia Ervin said...

This whole thing amazes me! Your family is so supportive and I can't believe how the kids are so selfless and would buzz their heads just to make Avery feel better!
Saydee is such a strong little girl, Avery couldn't ask for a better best friend!
I hate that I'm so far away and I can't come to any of these parties! Hopefully one day soon I can!
Give Aves our love from Vegas!

Ava said...

I didn't read this until Greta told me about it at church. Wow, what an amazing thing, and especially for little Saydee to do for Avery.

Amber said...

Thanks for your comments! I enjoy reading them.