Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Once again...Counts too Low!




Again, we were surprised that for two weeks in a row, Avery's blood counts weren't high enough to start her next phase of treatment. We have enjoyed this little break from going to SL every weekend & have loved seeing Avery get some of her spunk back. Seeing this little glimpse of normalcy in our lives, I dread having to start back up, but hate to see her counts keep dropping. That's scary! Her ANC is now down to 500 from the 600 it was last week. Her WBC is 1.9. She was off of all Chemo for a week so I figured we definitely would make counts and be heading up for her treatment. Home health came on Thursday, June 3oth, and when we gave Avery the chance to leave her port accessed so she wouldn't have to get poked again on Friday for Chemo she decided to try it. It would only be for 24 hours. I was that sure we would be going. She actually showed people what the port looked like accessed. However, it started driving her crazy and she wanted it out so I don't know if we'll do that again especially after we found out her counts weren't high enough to go. I had to go de-access her port. Which was something I've never done & a little scary. She was so brave & getting the tape off took longer then pulling out the needle from her port. Avery you are amazing & brave and I'm so proud of you. I wish so bad you didn't have to go through all this and pray that we can continue to get through it all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She was so brave getting her port that day. It was a privilege to be the "child life coach" and reading to her to distract her. You are all dealing with this so well. You are all amazing!